judithdcollins

JDCMustReadBooks

An online marketing consultant, an avid reader of  400 + books a year. Professional reader, reviewer, and blogger.  Enjoy ARCs and new releases.

Tucker's Way

Publisher: Lake Union Publishing
Publication Date: 12/9/2014
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 5 Stars +

A special thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, TUCKERS WAY (The Tucker Series Book #1) may be one of the best historical fiction books of 2014! You know you have discovered a winning book, when you begin sending out recommendations to all of your reading friends, before you are even fifty percent through the book. I love discovering new found authors!

David Johnson’s TUCKER'S WAY is a powerful, heartfelt and emotional story of one woman’s journey from incest, abuse, poverty, to the raising of her three grandchildren – a book of love, loss, faith; tragedy and triumph, making you laugh and cry at the same time.

Tucker is dirt poor with a lack of education, and social graces.  She has experienced a hard life, with years of abuse, since childhood, and practically raised herself. Now she finds herself stuck raising her three grandchildren, since her no-good daughter took off. Now her youngest grandchild April will not speak and social services is threatening to take her way, so she turns to her new neighbor for help. (and Tucker does not do help well).

Tucker has made plenty many enemies in the small Tennessee country southern town, as loves to carry an ax, and use it when needed, and can fight like a man. She has hardened herself and does not trust others, has a temper; however, she is fearless when it comes to protecting those she loves.

When she finds out her main enemy (The Judge)’s ex-wife has moved in next door, she is furious. Ella, has a difficult time breaking down the walls to try and befriend her neighbor Tucker (too funny). However, Ella has experienced cancer, has no hair, a cheating and abusive husband and a son following in his dad’s footsteps, so she knows heartache as well. When these two meet, both from different walks of life, they learn from one another in so many ways. When troubles surface, learn their lives connect in many different ways and develop a friendship and bond, which is unbreakable, leaving you smiling.

For fans of historical fiction Dollbaby, by Laura Lane McNeal, and Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain, TUCKER'S WAYand The Tucker Series is for you! These were two of my most beloved books and this one sits next to them. A bittersweet "must read series" filled with wit and humor.

I am so delighted I saw the popup ad on the Goodreads (they work); when I read the summary, knew this was going to be a special book to treasure; and immediately requested it through NetGalley.

David Johnson knows southern fiction, from the country southern dialect, the setting, and the characters. You care about the characters, as if you were there in the log cabin next to the fire, or sitting on the swing or rocker on the porch, or listening to the words of the southern songs.

Johnson's extensive background with over over thirty-five years as a licensed marriage and family therapist with a master’s degree in social work and over a decade of experience as a minister, speaks throughout the pages with in depth insights into social issues, poverty, human behavior, family dynamics, abuse, incest, dysfunction, and emotions of the heart.

Tucker has seen and experienced abuse like no child, teen or adult should ever see, which has hardened her heart; however, she reminds me of Tyler Perry's Madea, with her manly rough and tough exterior, keeping you in stitches with her wit and humor, and a true fearless best friend to those she protects and loves. A huge fan of Madea, as have seen all the movies, and had to laugh when I read other reviewers with the same thought.

Love the relationship between Ella and Tucker, from two different backgrounds. This book would make a great movie!  As you will note, the names of the grandchildren: April, March, August (so assuming possibly August something will be book 5). Now, I am dying to read the other books in the series, and have been busy requesting as have to find out more about Tucker, Ella, April, March, and August. I also enjoyed learning the author's inspiration behind the series.

Next on my list!
All available, 12/9/2014

An Unexpected Frost
(The Tucker Series Book 2)

April's Rain
(The Tucker Series Book 3)

March On
(The Tucker Series Book 4)

Will keep my fingers crossed to get an ARC, as do not think I can wait until Dec 9 to learn the fate of my new friends.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1115700588?comment=110637874#comment_110637874