judithdcollins

JDCMustReadBooks

An online marketing consultant, an avid reader of  400 + books a year. Professional reader, reviewer, and blogger.  Enjoy ARCs and new releases.

How Will I Know You

How Will I Know You?: A Novel - Jessica Treadway
ISBN: 9781455554119
Publisher:  Grand Central
Publication Date: 12/6/2016
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 4 Stars

From the author of Lacy Eye Jessica Treadway delivers her latest: HOW WILL I KNOW YOU, a haunting look at a family torn apart by dark secrets.

Joy, the budding artist. The girl everyone assumed drowned on Friday, the 13th of the previous month had in fact been murdered. The victim of a homicide: autopsy results showed she had actually, died of strangulation, after which the killer dumped her body in the woods.

What could have happened? Was someone following her, stalking, watching?

An intense mystery, we hear from four different characters with contrasting views, weaving back and forth in time.

• Susanne Enright: Joy's mother and a professor at the local art college
• Martin Willett: Black graduate student suspected of the murder- Suzanne's teaching assistant.
• Harper Grove: Joy's best friend and a potential eyewitness
• Tom: a rescue diver and son-in-law of the town's police chief

Instead of hidden under the surface, she had been right in plain sight the whole time, or what should have been plain sight. Sometimes what people were looking for was right in front of them, and they missing it because they were paying attention to something else.

Interim police chief Doug Armstrong was the arresting officer, determined to get a conviction with racial injustice. He had his own agenda.

Blackmail, drugs, secrets, guilt, betrayal, deception, fear, and lies. Love and loss.

Dark small town secrets which threaten to destroy. Was Susanne ultimately responsible for her daughter’s death, even though she may not have been the one to strangle her? What about her father Gil’s financial failures? How does each person’s action play a part in this unraveling? What goes on behind closed doors?

Compelling! Jessica Treadway delivers a rich character driven psychological suspense, with a literary twist. A slow burning intense mystery, keeping your turning the pages of this complex domestic saga, while slowly unraveling everyone’s dirty secrets. The author cleverly conceals the murderer's identity and the motive, until the novel’s explosive conclusion.

I enjoyed After-The Last with the “Souls on Board” Art Exhibit which parallels to the characters in the novel. Separate experiences of the same story. Revealing crucial details not originally noticed, as with the characters. Each contains critical pieces of information.

“We’re all souls on board this flight. Nothing is too small to matter, and even when we think we have the whole picture, there is still more to see.”

A special thank you to Grand Central and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

JDCMustReadBooks
Source: http://www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/single-post/2016/10/01/How-Will-I-know-You