judithdcollins

JDCMustReadBooks

An online marketing consultant, an avid reader of  400 + books a year. Professional reader, reviewer, and blogger.  Enjoy ARCs and new releases.

Before I Go to Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep - S. J. Watson

By: S. J. Watson

ASIN: B0055QAF54

Publisher: Harper Audio

Publication Date: 9/1/2011

Format:  Audio

My Rating:  3 Stars

BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP a strong debut by S. J. Watson--a psychological haunting suspense of one woman’s confused mind, a debilitating illness----leaving her vulnerable, alone, and frightened--unsure whom she can trust.

Based in London, Christina awakens not knowing the stranger in her bed. Ben of course, tries to comfort, assuring her they have been married for over twenty years. She discovers she has amnesia and unable to remember past events or retain new memories. Basically when she falls asleep, all her memories are gone. Zap!

She is seeing a therapist, who has encouraged her to write in her journal, similar to patients with Alzheimer’s or other brain disorders, in order to try and remember her thoughts or actions. However, she reads her words, “Do not trust Ben.” She begins to question herself and everyone around her. Where are her friends? Why is Ben so controlling and protective? Is Ben the enemy or is someone else? An affair possibly, or maybe her therapist? What caused this condition? She desperately tries to remember, as she feels she is in danger. Can she trust her therapist and is someone out to get her?

OK, several things here: I am reading (listening to the audiobook, narrated by Orlagh Cassidy, after having read S.J. Watson’s second book, The Second Life (6/5/2015.) I liked the second a little better, but neither blew away--both drag; and not a huge fan of the narrator.

Also the reason for the lower rating, I just finished reading TURN OF MIND by Alice LaPlante,(surgeon/dementia/murder) THE BOOKSELLER by Cynthia Swanson (confused mind in between two lives); Paul Cleave’s TRUST NO ONE 5 Stars + (crime writer, Alzheimer’s), Lisa Genova’s STILL ALICE (professor, Alzheimer’s), and Maggie Barbieri’s ONCE UPON A LIE (retired cop, father, Alzheimer’s). Both Cleave and Barbieri add quite a bit of wit and humor, mixed with murder. Highly recommend, this list.

Before I Go to Sleep did not come close to the quality of the above; even though he does offer a nice twist; however, takes too long to arrive.

I am so in love with the Author's website design

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1308866093