judithdcollins

JDCMustReadBooks

An online marketing consultant, an avid reader of  400 + books a year. Professional reader, reviewer, and blogger.  Enjoy ARCs and new releases.

Wicked Ways

Wicked Ways - Lisa Jackson, Nancy Bush

By Lisa Jackson and Nancy Bush
ISBN: 9781420118490
Publisher: Kensington
Publication Date: 11/25/2014
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 2 Stars

A special thank you to Kensington Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

WICKED WAYS, (The Colony Book # 4) by sisters, Lisa Jackson and Nancy Bush with their latest suspense with the death count mounting, when dark secrets of the past surface.

The Colony was apparently first introduced in Wicked Game, #1 in the series, about a group of women who live together at a lodge called Siren Song on the Oregon coast in the fictional town of Deception Bay. These women possess special gifts and the local people think they are strange.

The story opens briefly with a scene for years past of a girl named Lena and she and her boyfriend were the ones who had stolen Lost Baby Girl. Much later seeking absolution she turned to the witches of Siren Song. (will not get into the other details which tie the stories together).

Then you have Elizabeth, wife and mother of five year old Chloe, busy realtor with a cheating husband, Court of six years, about to make partner at the firm. Soon after the police comes to the door stating there has been an accident and Court has been in an accident (with another person in the passenger seat), with a hotel receipt at a hotel and a married woman as the husband was following them in order to use the affair as leverage in the pending divorce. However, Elizabeth knew it was going to happen, but she could not say anything to the police.

And then there is Mazie’s death, (she was her assistant), three months earlier; they both died in car accidents, though Mazie had apparently been driving while under the influence and Court had lost control of his car while stone-cold sober. She is afraid she is willing people to die. It was her fault Mazie was dead, and also Officer Daniels, before her—after she wished them dead.

What happens next is a series events, with an array of other characters, Ravinia, the youngest Colony member, Catherine, Nadia, Rex, an array of relatives, a past dark history, an adoption, an evil father, and the Lost Baby Girl, and more history. Honestly, I was a little lost, and not an enjoyable read. Was unaware until afterwards this was part of a series, so I did not have the background of the other three previous books.

From the summary of the book, I was unaware of the witches and paranormal aspect, as not type of genre; as I prefer more crime thrillers and mystery. It started out OK; however, got a little weird and I was not invested in the characters nor the storyline. However, those who enjoyed the previous books in the series may appreciate.

Also included, a sneak preview of Lisa’s latest book, Close to Home, a novel of a woman renovating an old Victorian haunted mansion where she grew up. Now she and her daughters uncover secrets buried within the house of a mother and a half-sister who vanished. Then in the same town teenage girls are disappearing and she thinks her memories are the key to solving the mystery.

I have read some earlier books of Lisa Jackson and only a couple of Nancy Bush. Appears they are crossing over to more paranormal, and this just isn’t my thing.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1058187236